My good friend The Amputee Mommy blogged earlier today about our idea for raising awareness about the draft Medicare policy. It’s pretty simple: record a 10-15 second video of yourself doing an everyday activity; attach that video to a tweet. Here’s a step-by-step guide that we need as many amputees as possible to follow in order to ensure consistency of message:
- Pick a basic activity that you do every day (e.g., carrying your child, walking your dog, buying groceries, etc.).
- Have a friend or family member shoot you performing that activity on your mobile phone with you near or moving towards the camera. The entire clip should not be longer than 15 seconds.
- End the clip by saying, “[insert activity] is not a luxury.” So, for example, if you shot video of you walking the dog, you’d walk towards the camera with your faithful hound and then stop and say, “Walking my dog is not a luxury.”
- Open Twitter on your mobile phone and start a new tweet. The camera icon sits below the main message composition box. Select the video you just shot. If it’s longer than 15 seconds, edit it by trimming it down.
- After selecting the video, there are 3 components to your actual tweet.
- Start the tweet with “@CMSGov”. That’s the Twitter handle for Medicare. We want Medicare to see each and every amputee’s video.
- After that, type “[insert activity] is #NotALuxury.” So again, using the previous example, the tweet would read, “Walking my dog is #NotALuxury.”
- Finish by linking to the petition asking Medicare to rescind this proposed policy: http://wh.gov/iIIoi
So, the completed tweet would consist of the video you shot, followed by the text in 5.A-C above. Here’s how it looked for me:
We’ve gotten more than 25,000 signatures so far, so we’re more than 25% of the way towards our goal! By putting the face of people with limb loss on this movement, we can greatly increase the public’s awareness of the issue and help us get to the 100,000 signature mark by August 30.
We need every amputee to help us get there! Please take 15-20 minutes out of your day and put YOUR face on this important initiative.